It's just amazing!
I have never enjoyed pot roast. I think this was because my mother cooked it all the time and hers did nothing for me. Sigh. I decided to make pot roast for weekly family dinner only because I got a new cast iron dutch oven and this recipe worked out well to test my new pot. Oh my! I have found a new love. This recipe is just amazing! I don’t know whether it’s the recipe or my new cast iron pot, but I will be making this recipe again! It’s simple and completely delicious!
- 3 lb chuck roast boneless
- 1-1/2 tsp house seasoning (recipe below)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 3 bay leaves
- 4 beef bouillon cubes crushed
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 10-3/4 can cream of mushroom soup
- For Low Carb, simmer heavy cream with fresh mushrooms. Use xanthan gum for thickening.
- 1/2 cup Chardonnay
- 1 cup salt
- 1/4 cup black pepper
- 1/4 cup garlic powder
- Sprinkle roast on all sides with house seasoning.
- Using a cast iron skillet 10-inch over high heat, sear roast until brown in oil.
- Place roast in a slow cooker, and layer onions, bay leaves, crushed bouillon cubes, garlic, and cream of mushroom soup.
- Add the Chardonnay and cover with enough water to cover all of the ingredients.
- Cook on the low setting for 8 hours.
- Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
I used my cast iron dutch oven instead of a slow cooker where I used a very low oven temperature. This was a great experiment to prove that I can use my oven as a slow cooker if I wanted.