Simple and great for a crowd
I just love this recipe! We simply call it Chicken and Rice. I have no idea where my mom got this recipe from but I’ve seen tons of various versions. It’s so very simple and quick to put together! This is great for a crowd. I personally make this most of the time for guests as you get both the main dish and starch side in one dish.
- 1 pkg Onion soup mix
- 1 cup rice raw
- 6 chicken breasts (or 8 thighs)
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth
- Sprinkle onion soup mix over bottom of 17x3x2 buttered pan. I’ve also used my cast iron skillet 17-inch, my large enameled cast iron dutch oven and my enameled cast iron lasagna pan depending on the amount I’m making.
- Sprinkle rice evenly over pan. Lay chicken on top of rice.
- Mix soup with broth and pour over top.
- Dot with butter. Bake uncovered 1-1/2 hours at 325 degrees.
For Low Carb, simmer heavy cream with fresh mushrooms to replace Cream of Mushroom soup. Use xanthan gum for thickening.
I have recently been making it in my huge cast iron skillet 17-inch, it makes up GREAT there and it stays warm for a long time. This goes GREAT with the Cast Iron Skillet Cornbread (http://embracing.today/simplecooking/cast-iron-skillet-cornbread/)!