Makes great tacos!
Wonderful spicy shredded beef for tacos!
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1/2 medium onion
- 1 lime, juice
- 2-4 tbsp chiptoles in adobo sauce (to taste)
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp ground oregano
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1 cup water
- 3 lbs beef eye of round or bottom round roast, all fat trimmed
- 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- black pepper
- 1 tsp oil
- 3 bay leaves
- Place garlic, onion, lime juice, cumin, oregano, chipotles, cloves and water in a blender and puree until smooth.
- Trim all the fat off meat, cut into 3-inch pieces. Season with 2 teaspoons salt and black pepper. Heat the pressure cooker on high (use saute button for Instant Pot), when hot add the oil and brown the meat, in batches on all side, about 5 minutes. Add the sauce from the blender and bay leaves, cover and cook on high pressure until the meat is tender and easily shreds with 2 forks, about 1 hour. (in my Instant Pot I cooked it 65 minutes). (If you’re making this on the stove, simmer it on low at least 4 hours, adding more water as needed to make sure it doesn’t dry out.)
- Once cooked and the meat is tender, remove the meat and place in a dish. Shred with two forks, and reserve the liquid for later (discard the bay leaf). Return the shredded meat to the pot, add 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste, 1/2 tsp cumin and 1 1/2 cups of the reserved liquid.